ora-06512 errors - flushing shared_pool takes care of it - WHY?

From: Fedock, John (KAM.RHQ) <John.Fedock_at_us.kline.com>
Date: Fri, 07 Mar 2003 11:19:48 -0800

I have a perplexing issue that I hope someone may have some ideas on.

We have a Windows2000 server using COM+ applications to connect to a 8.1.7.4 OPFS HP-UX database to process large amounts of EDI records. There is no pattern, but on average 2 times a week, this application that is processing heavy EDI will error off with "ORA-01858: a non-numeric character was found where a numeric was expected and ORA-06512: at line 1 errors." Note that these errors are showing up in the EDI load logs and are NOT generated in the database (8.1.7.4, HP-UX). If I flush the shared_pool, and immediatly rerun the EDI load, the data will load correctly. I cannot understand why flushing the shared_pool helps this and how to correct so our EDI processing does not error. There are no shared_pool errors in the alert log (no 4031s, no 4030s).

A few others on MetaLink have had similiar errors, but no resolution has been posted.

When this happens I am taking system state dumps and sending to Oracle.

So, in a nutshell, my EDI loading will stall (or error off with misc ora-6512s). If I flush the shared_pool, it starts to process just fine. Any ideas - besides just flushing the shared_pool often?

TIA.   JF

John Fedock
"K" Line America, Inc.
www.kline.com
* john.fedock_at_us.kline.com

Author: Fedock, John (KAM.RHQ)
  INET: John.Fedock_at_us.kline.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Mar 07 2003 - 13:19:48 CST