RE: Unix research source ???

From: Brian Dunbar <Brian.Dunbar_at_Plexus.com>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:38:43 -0800

>Any OS that comes with the same set of utilities and, on the surface,
>looks like Unix, gets called Unix by non-sys admin users, even though
>there is only one vendor that can legally call its OS Unix. AIX,
>Solaris, HPUX, and Linux are NOT Unix; and you're not likely to see an
>experienced sys admin call them Unix.

Unless we're talking to the 99% of humanity who give us funny looks for being pedantic about the 'unix-like' OS we happen to be supporting this month. Or we're sending our out our "HR resume" (as opposed to our "Technical Manager" resume).

It's damned annoying to have an HR drone assume you can't do the job because they are filling for "Solaris 8" and you've got on your reusme "SunOS 2.8, Linux, AIX, BSD etc." <grumble>

Author: Brian Dunbar
  INET: Brian.Dunbar_at_Plexus.com