Re: RMAN: I don't trust it

From: Maria Aurora VT de la Vega <mtdelavega_at_pse.org.ph>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:58:42 -0800

And with ascii files, security becomes an issue. Its easy to change data and load it back without errors... And its easy to see confidential data too.

=)

dgoulet_at_vicr.com wrote:

> Lyndon,
>
> Beacuse it's proprietary. Any dunce can create a flat ascii text file,
> which probably accounts for the wide audience it gets. But it takes a PHD to
> read a binary one. BTW: IBM and M$'s dump files are binary as well.
>
> Also, Oracle's default installation does scale, although not as well as it
> should. And to boot that's the reason your boss pays you. Look at as job
> justification.
>
> Dick Goulet

> Author: Lyndon Tiu <ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca>
> Date: 2/11/2003 10:34 AM
>
> Quoting dgoulet_at_vicr.com:
>
> > Lyndon,
> >
> > True, an export file is peculiar to Oracle. The difference
> > between a
> > commercial database and an open source one. IBM and MicroSludge do
> > the same.
> > The functional purpose though is the same.
>
> Question:
>
> Why a binary file? More efficient? I find the plain text output more
> useful and easy to store. Recovery is easier as well, just cut and
> past the relevant lines of script and run it.
>
> --
> Lyndon Tiu

> Author: Lyndon Tiu
> INET: ltiu_at_alumni.sfu.ca

> INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com

Maria Aurora VT de la Vega
Oracle DBA
Philippine Stock Exchange, Inc.

"Failure is only postponed success as long as courage 'coaches' ambition.
The habit of persistence is the habit of victory."

Author: Maria Aurora VT de la Vega
  INET: mtdelavega_at_pse.org.ph