Re: Excessive library cache latch contention

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 08:14:39 -0800

The 'objects on hot latches' is likely to help only if there is a significant imbalance in the latch activity on the latch children (as you probably know).

The fact that 'waits holding' is rather high may be a hint. The most likely latches that you would be holding whilst waiting for the library cache are (I think) the shared pool and the library cache. And one of the more likely reasons for holding (one of) the library cache latches whilst waiting for another is the excessive use of public synonyms in
a system with a large number of distinct users.

The other thing to note is that the latch pressure occurs when the system is at
peak usage. It is possible that excessive CPU usage is causing the latch problem - the more CPU being used by 'other users' the longer it is before I get a chance to get back on the run queue and release the latch that someone else is waiting for. Possibly you could 'fix' the latch problem by finding opportunities to reduce the level of CPU used. The 'small number of specific forms' may be exactly the place where there is
some relatively inefficient SQL that uses CPU too aggressively.

Regards

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Coming soon a new one-day tutorial: