Excessive library cache latch contention

From: Harvey Neil <Neil.Harvey_at_sx3.com>
Date: Fri, 31 Jan 2003 03:08:39 -0800

We've got about 30 sites all running the same application, and I'm consistently seeing large numbers of 106 (library cache) latch free waits. They tend to happen at peak times during the day, and in the worst case I saw 12 sessions all on a 106 latch free wait event, spread across 3 P1RAW addresses.

Running Steve Adams latch_sleeps scripts, yields the following:

LATCH TYPE                                 IMPACT SLEEP RATE WAITS HOLDING
LEVEL
------------------------------------- ----------- ---------- -------------

library cache                             1281502      0.11%       2399666
5
cache buffers chains                       273556      0.00%         23049
1
shared pool                                 73893      0.04%         91633
7
cache buffers lru chain                     12236      0.01%         70756
3
session allocation                          10639      0.06%         19969
5
row cache objects                            7835      0.00%         29816
4
cache buffer handles                         3646      0.00%          2575
3
transaction allocation                       2344      0.01%          4341
8
enqueue hash chains                          1831      0.01%         13722
4
redo writing                                  778      0.01%         17328
5
session idle bit                              714      0.00%             0
1

The results above are from an instance which has been up for 5 days

As you can see, library cache latch has a big impact (though I must admit, I'm not sure what Steve's IMPACT formula actually tells me). When I check across other sites, I see a similar pattern - large numbers of 106 latch misses and sleeps.

I guess what I'd like to know is where these latches are happening, which objects / cursors etc are causing the contention. I've grappled with SQL against x$kglob, trying to join back to the P1RAW but am not getting very far.

Any ideas?

TIA. Neil.

--

This correspondence is confidential and is solely for the intended recipient(s). If you are not the intended recipient, you must not use, disclose, copy, distribute or retain this message or any part of it. If you are not the intended recipient please delete this correspondence from your system and notify the sender immediately.

No warranty is given that this correspondence is free from any virus. In keeping with good computer practice, you should ensure that it is actually virus free. E-mail messages may be subject to delays, non-delivery and unauthorised alterations therefore, information expressed in this message is not given or endorsed by Sx3 unless otherwise notified by our duly authorised representative independent of this message.

Sx3 is a trading name of Service and Systems Solutions Limited, a limited company registered in Northern Ireland under number NI 32979 whose registered office is at 120, Malone Road, Belfast, BT9 5HT.

Author: Harvey Neil
  INET: Neil.Harvey_at_sx3.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Fri Jan 31 2003 - 05:08:39 CST