Re: Important - Oracle Pricing on Standby/DR/Failover databases

From: <tjambu_fatcity_at_yahoo.com.au>
Date: Thu, 16 Jan 2003 15:25:48 -0800

Hi Kip

I think you got the gist of it.

In regards to your Q on DR, I assume that SunGuard and IBM is a DR facility hosted by them. How would you be recovering your database?
Tapes? Then that should be OK.
Filesystem replication or one of Oracle's features? Then you have to get another set of licence.

ta
tony

At 09:40 AM 16/01/2003 -0800, you wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I've missed some of this thread so apologies if this has been touched on
>already. The info-from-Oracle below refers to Backup/Failover/Standby.
>
>Backup : We're OK.
>Failover: Hmm. Tru64 cluster. Think we're OK based on what I read...
>Standby : I was shot down on this one because the DR site that would have
> been used has political problems with corporate plus there was the
> perception that ongoing costs would be too high to warrant it.
> Long story so I'll stop...
>
>Which leads me to my question: what if DR is to be at Sungard or IBM or
>elsewhere and the recovery system won't actually exist (ie: this is not a
>standby solution) until there is a disaster or when the recovery process is
>being tested. BTW they are assuming 1 day to reconstruct production (I think
>this is incredibly optimistic). Maybe the stuff below is clear to others
>but...does my company have a licensing issue with this direction that they
>don't know about?
>
>Kip Bryant

  INET: tjambu_fatcity_at_yahoo.com.au