Re: Database tracking

From: Arup Nanda <arupnanda_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 15:03:37 -0800

RE: Database trackingWow!

That definitely is one simple and elegant solution, Raj.

I wonder what you call when the alarm goes off, "heart-broken"? :)

Arup

  Tom,

  This is what we do ...
  We have a schema called "heartbeat" ... owns a table called rhythm (one column time_stamp data type date);

  1. Using a perl program, we log on to instance, insert a row in the table with value sysdate.
  2. Use dbms_lock.sleep to sleep for 3 seconds.
  3. select sysdate-time_stamp from rhythm;
  4. rollback;
  5. exit from the program.

  If the difference at stage 3 is > 5 seconds, the web-page goes red, if it is > 6 seconds the alarm goes off.

  Works fine ... we have this set-up on all our RAC instances ... The query is run from a monitoring server that connects to the database on public network (as everyone else) and also has 2 private networks ... if public network goes away.

  Raj

  Rajendra Jamadagni MIS, ESPN Inc.   Rajendra dot Jamadagni at ESPN dot com   Any opinion expressed here is personal and doesn't reflect that of ESPN Inc.   QOTD: Any clod can have facts, but having an opinion is an art!

Author: Arup Nanda
  INET: arupnanda_at_hotmail.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Jan 15 2003 - 17:03:37 CST