RE: Re: Run obsolete Oracle 7 scripts against Oracle 8i database?

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 15 Jan 2003 08:44:02 -0800

Stephane - If you ever take the OCP 9i upgrade exam, you'll want to be very clear on 07_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY. Here is the definition:

Setting this TRUE (default before 9i) means users with SELECT ANY can read any objects owned by SYS (data dictionary.

So if your users have scripts that read the data dictionary, those scripts won't work in 9i. I believe you can grant "select catalog role" and fix that. Or set O7_DICTIONARY_ACCESSIBILITY = FALSE.

Dennis Williams
DBA, 40%OCP
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com