RE: Orawomen (staffing)

From: Boivin, Patrice J <BoivinP_at_mar.dfo-mpo.gc.ca>
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 04:53:41 -0800

The difference between loyalty and competence might come in there... hiring based mostly job interviews and "first impressions" are poor predictors of a proper fit (read: ensuring competency in a position) within organisations.

When there is a crisis, what would a competent manager with integrity prefer? Being told he is wrong, that something is not workable, or loyalty to help him build his career? Hmmm -- hard choice there, but probably, a manager who cares about the success of the organisation as a whole, would hire people who are more competent at filling that role than he or she is.

When everything is going well, you can have both loyalty and what HR depts often sometimes refer to as "people skills", "a good fit", or "can work in a team environment."

If the Peter Principle is true, and there happens to be a crisis... that's another story. The Peter Principle combined with careerism, and people being too busy to focus properly on any one thing can hurt organisations over the long term.

People gravitate toward comfort first and foremost. Why hire someone who knows more than you and keeps telling you management is incompetent? Think about it. You will have to work with these new hires on a daily basis, life is hard enough as it is... Problems never happen... In any case hiring people is such a hassle...

OK, no more reponses to this thread on this list from me...

Regards,
Pat.

Author: Rachel Carmichael
INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com