Re: strange error on DBMS_STATS

From: Tim Gorman <tim_at_sagelogix.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 09:19:46 -0800

...I've got this hammer called "SQL Trace" and just about every problem looks like a nail...

Good thing is, this'll probably resolve it for you. Can you run this in the same session prior to running the GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS?    alter session set max_dump_file_size = unlimited;    alter session set events '10046 trace name context forever, level 12';

If you're pressed for space in USER_DUMP_DEST, you might want to run the trace at "level 4" instead of "level 12", to dump the bind variable values only...

This will generate a trace file which, embedded within it, should contain some indication of exactly where the ORA-01031 error is being thrown.

Look within the raw ".trc" (near the bottom of the file) for the phrase "err=" (it should say "err=1031" or "err=-1031", I forget which). Note the cursor# for that line and then search upwards for the phrase "PARSING IN CURSOR #nnn" to see the SQL text. Then, from the site of the error message, search again upwards for the phrase "BIND #nnn" to find the dump of bind-variable values for the most recent call.

Seeing as how the trace will dump all recursive SQL called in GATHER_SCHEMA_STATS as well as their bind-variable values, we might be able to pin-point exactly which item it is failing upon...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: tim_at_sagelogix.com