strange error on DBMS_STATS

From: Rachel Carmichael <wisernet100_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Dec 2002 08:39:15 -0800

I'm running dbms_stats.gather_schema_stats, the account running it is NOT the schema owner, but DOES have the "analyze any" privilege and has read/write access to all the tables in the schema. We are not trying to gather stats into our own tables, just want the stats refreshed after the (massive) loads into the DW tables.

This has been running fine, then all of a sudden last night we started getting ORA-1031 ("insufficient privileges") errors. Now, according to the docs:

ORA-01031 insufficient privileges

    Cause: An attempt was made to change the current username or password without the appropriate privilege. This error also occurs if attempting to install a database without the necessary operating system privileges.

We are not changing passwords, so I am presuming that this involves
(somehow) a change of username. According to the package header, it
will throw an ORA-20000 if there are insufficent privileges. We rebuilt an index yesterday but did NOT change or add any table.

I had this happen once before, on a different database, never solved it, but substituted dbms_utility.analyze_schema which worked. I can do the same thing this time but I'd prefer to solve it.

Anyone ever see anything like this before?

oh yeah 9.2.0.1 on Solaris 8

Rachel

Do you Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Mail Plus - Powerful. Affordable. Sign up now. http://mailplus.yahoo.com