RE: Guidelines/Standards for supporting non-oracle databases

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Wed, 11 Dec 2002 07:04:22 -0800

Rick - Since you didn't say how these Access databases are populated, I will assume that they may be stand-alone, i.e. not necessarily associated with your Oracle/SQL Server databases.

   My immediate reaction is that this is a "political" type of question. That is, somebody thinks this would be potentially useful. Usually IS management is astute enough to ward off these ideas, realizing that their valuable (expensive) IS talent would be frittered away on less important projects. But sometimes you get a new IS manager that thinks this would be a cool way to make his group seem more valuable to the business groups. Here are some ideas:

  1. To your IS management, offer your willingness to be as helpful as possible. Ask for training in Access. Ask for a breakdown of the ratio of your time you should spend on these databases versus Access.
  2. Suggest that the PC techs should cover this area, but offer to be a second-level resource to them (with training, of course).
  3. Offer to put on a class in database design. Usually the problems encountered with Access databases occur because of ignorance.
  4. Suggest the power users be sent to Access class. Like most organizations, our policy toward Access is the same as Excel, Word, etc. Our PC techs will install it, but past that the users are on their own. As an Oracle DBA, I know nothing about Access, that's my story and I'm sticking to it. Dennis Williams DBA, 40%OCP Lifetouch, Inc. dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Dec 11 2002 - 09:04:22 CST