Re: Relation Between Oracle Sessions

From: Justin Cave <jcave_at_cableone.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Nov 2002 22:03:22 -0800

At 10:08 PM 11/4/2002, you wrote:

>Whenever a form is opened, it opens an Oracle session (can be seen from
>v$session). Now when we call another form from this opened form, (call
>form property of forms), it will open another session. If we consider the
>main form as the parent form and the form called from within it as its
>child form, then, IS there a way to know, from some view or else, that
>session of this newly opened form is the child of which parent session,
>their relationship basically?

I believe the simple answer here is "no". If your application is opening multiple sessions, each session is logically independent of the other-- Oracle has no concept of "parent" or "child" sessions. I would generally take this sort of behavior to indicate a bug in your application-- generally one wants to reuse connections across multiple forms so that each form doesn't have the overhead of opening a new connection to the database.

Justin Cave
Distributed Database Consulting

Author: Justin Cave
  INET: jcave_at_cableone.net