Re: Re Raid 5+

From: Jared Still <jkstill_at_cybcon.com>
Date: Sun, 03 Nov 2002 16:48:42 -0800

Yechial,

> You have 12 disks. In raid 0+1 you use striping across 6 volumes.
> In raid 5 you strip across 11 disks, so you get almost double the work

They didn't tell you everything they know about RAID 0+1.

The disks may be striped into 6 logical disks, and they are written to as 6 logical disks, but when reading, all 12 disks are read from independentantly.

So a RAID 5 is not actually doing more work a READ.

But during a write, it's doing quite a bit more than RAID 0+1.

> without returning and moving the r/w head on the same disk.

Maybe if there is one user on the system, doing 1 read. Multiuser IO systems don't serialize the IO, at least not to the extent that the single user scenario requires. This is much like reorging a table so that all data is in a 'contiguous' space. It's an illusion, it doesn't really work that way.

Jared

Author: Jared Still
  INET: jkstill_at_cybcon.com