Re: Re Raid 5+

From: David Davis <davisdav_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Nov 2002 09:00:13 -0800

I have never been given a choice to use anything other than RAID 5. The storage management group dictates what we get and the Server admin group and DBA's have to live with it. (Large IT shop everything in its own silo).

Though it has not been the end of the world being on RAID 5, but then I was using EMC SAN and we have since switched to Hitachi SAN. The disk i/o performance has cetainly been fine with the RAID 5. In fact it improved when we eliminated our SCSI controllers and went to Fibre channels.

If I had an application that had high transaction volumes or required the steady diet of tuning to get the last bit of performance out of the system to get an acceptable performance. Then I might be more concerned. I guess basically I am saying that the choice between RAID 5 vs RAID 0+1 is also

going to depend on the application processing requirements. The trade off in
performance might be more than compensated for by the cost. Everyone wants a
fast car, but few can afford it and fewer actually need it.

Surf the Web without missing calls! Get MSN Broadband. http://resourcecenter.msn.com/access/plans/freeactivation.asp
Author: David Davis
  INET: davisdav_at_hotmail.com