RE: CA's AutoSys

From: <Rajesh.Rao_at_jpmchase.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 09:57:57 -0800

We too make extensive use of the product, though our team does not need to maintain it. Just the backend database. Seems to work as intended, alerting the operations staff in case of failures. I have not heard the folks trash this product. Though, I have had them ask me for JIL scripts, whatever that means, to setup jobs, at which point, I go to my good old cron.

Raj

                    "Deshpande, Kirti"
                    <kirti.deshpande_at_ve        To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    rizon.com>                 cc:
                    Sent by:                   Subject:     RE: CA's AutoSys
                    root_at_fatcity.com

                    October 18, 2002
                    12:39 PM
                    Please respond to
                    ORACLE-L

Dick,
 We have been using that product for quite some time now... and it does a pretty good job of scheduling things. In our environment *all* jobs are handled by Autosys, and we are not supposed to use 'cron'. We use the product for scheduling jobs on a variety of h/w platforms( IBM-AIX, HP, Sun,
SGI etc). It does need some dedicated resources to manage a large and dynamic environment. In our case, Operations and Production Control group has 2-3 FTEs maintaining the job schedules. The database used by Autosys is an Oracle 8i database and we have a Senior DBA responsible for it, as it is one of the *most critical* databases in the Company.