RE: Archive files and their Management

From: Jay Hostetter <jhostetter_at_decommunications.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 08:49:20 -0800

  I'm not quite sure what you mean by "modify the database startup procedure." You must be in MOUNT mode to change between archive and noarchive. You don't need to change the mode each time you startup you database. Once you put a database in archivelog mode, you are in that mode until you change it - no matter how many startup/shutdowns you do.   It doesn't matter if you have a cold vs. hot backup. As long as you have database backup and all of your archivelogs, you can do a point-in-time recovery from that backup until your last archivelog.

Jay

>>> RMarkham_at_hafeleamericas.com 10/18/02 12:09PM >>>
I'm up for my backup and recovery class here soon, but this conversation has brought up questions
that I think some of you wouldn't mind discussing anyway. I see where implementing archive logs
requires that you modify the database startup procedure to turn on archiving before opening the
database. At this point the DBA should do an immediate "baseline" backup (orafaq =)) which
implies a hot/online backup. I am curious how this goes with point in time cold backups. ie. DBA
does a cold backup opens the database in archive log mode. Can you apply accumulated archive
logs to a restore from cold backup ? perhaps there are issues with the control file information.....

Author: Jay Hostetter
  INET: jhostetter_at_decommunications.com