RE: Client not using tnsnames.ora?

From: Jacques Kilchoer <Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 15:13:18 -0800

Do you have several Oracle Homes on the client? If so you need to modify the tnsnames.ora in each
%ORACLE_HOME%/network/admin directory.
Do you have any tnsnames.ora files outside the %ORACLE_HOME%/network/admin directory?
If I remember right, the search order is: a) use tnsnames.ora in the current directory of the executable b) use tnsnames.ora in the directory specified by the TNS_ADMIN environment variable
c) use tnsnames.ora in %ORACLE_HOME%/network/admin

Is the alias specified more than once in the tnsnames.ora? Each alias should only be defined once. (search for FTST.HARPER.CC.IL.US in the tnsnames.ora file).
Does the tnsnames.ora file contain an "ifile=" parameter including entries from another file?

Author: Jacques Kilchoer
  INET: Jacques.Kilchoer_at_quest.com