Client not using tnsnames.ora?

From: Scott Stefick <sstefick_at_harper.cc.il.us>
Date: Fri, 04 Oct 2002 14:33:37 -0800

Hello all,

DB=8.1.7.4.0
DB Server OS=HPUX 11i
Client: Windows NT 4.0

I have 3 Oracle instances that were installed on one machine "prod". They are FPRD, FTRN and FTST. I moved FTST to a different machine "dev". I changed the tnsnames.ora files on the clients and the servers, and I changed the listener.ora on the servers.

Now I cannot connect to the FTST instance on the "dev" machine from the clients. The TNS_ADMIN env variable is not set either. I tried to set it on one of the clients and it broke all of the other instances. When I do a TNSPING from the clients, it still shows that the client is trying to connect to the "prod" machine even though the tnsnames.ora file on the client is pointing to "dev". I don't know where the client is getting that the FTST database is still located on "prod". I checked the sqlnet.ora file on the clients and servers and they all have
"names.directory_path=(TNSNAMES)"

The twist to all of this is that if I try to connect using sqlplus from
"prod" to "dev" and vice versa, I can connect all day long with no problems
at all. So that leads me to believe the issue lies on the Client side.

Example:
C:\ tnsping ftst.harper.cc.il.us
Attempting to contact (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=prod)(PORT=1521))

and it should read:
C:\ tnsping ftst.harper.cc.il.us
Attempting to contact (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=TCP)(HOST=dev)(PORT=1521))

Because the tnsnames.ora file reads:
FTST.HARPER.CC.IL.US =
   (DESCRIPTION =

     (ADDRESS_LIST =
       (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = dev)(PORT = 1521))
     )
     (CONNECT_DATA =
       (SERVICE_NAME = ftst)
     )