Re: Inserts are taking time !

From: Justin Cave <jcave_at_cableone.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Sep 2002 22:58:19 -0800

At 09:08 AM 9/5/2002, you wrote:
>Thanks a lot for the response,
>No its not a batch insert; each insert is done with auto-commit=true from
>the java application. So, after each insert a commit is done at the Db
>level, which is the root cause of such a delay, I guess.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes. I'm willing to wager that 90% of your time is spent waiting for the commits in this scenario.

>But if this auto-commit is the issue than why first 10K records are inserted
>quickly.

Well, it's only slower by a factor of 6 when you go from 0 rows to 350,000 rows, which seems reasonable. When you have 0 rows in the database, you probably have the table, indexes, etc. completely cached in memory. When the table grows larger, however, more and more "stuff" will be coming from the disk.

Additionally, the commits are likely to be a bit more complicated the more rows you have, because the number of blocks that need to be touched in the indexes will go up.

>I cannot disable constraints even for a sinlge second as there will be heavy
>reads going on even when inserts are taking place.

Can you do batch inserts, so that you're not committing 10,000 times? Modify the application to batch 1000 statements at a time, and I'll be you get much happier very quickly.

Justin Cave

Author: Justin Cave
  INET: jcave_at_cableone.net