RE: automatic segment space management

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 09:42:15 -0800

Rachel - I have been using LMTs with uniform extents (Oracle-recommended variation) for a couple of years now with Oracle 8.1.6, and now 9.2. The Oracle-recommended extent sizes are 128k, 4m, and 128m. As far as PCTFREE, et. al., these are at the table level, so my opinion would be that the guidelines for these are unchanged from the pre-LMT days. The key issue with the highly updated customer table would be whether the size of the row is changing. If you can keep the row size constant, then you won't wind up with chained rows. The biggest issue facing you is whether you turn AUTOEXTEND on. I did that and have encountered relatively few problems. Well, one problem. I had tables set with large NEXT extents to minimize extents, and when one extended boy did my sys admin get excited. I changed that.

   A bigger issue in building your data warehouse is whether you can use the partitioning option. Most of our queries were taking more than 2 minutes and I was able to partition and bring that down below 10 seconds. The users were pretty excited.

Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com

Author: Rachel Carmichael
  INET: wisernet100_at_yahoo.com

Author: DENNIS WILLIAMS
  INET: DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Sep 03 2002 - 12:42:15 CDT