Great SQL Tuning Book

From: DENNIS WILLIAMS <DWILLIAMS_at_LIFETOUCH.COM>
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 09:34:09 -0800

I stumbled on this new book the other day and bought it. I think it is terrific. We DBAs are often asked to help tune SQL statements. This book offers lots of ideas for fixing SQL statements. Most thorough explanation of how the rule-based and cost-based optimizers work that I have encountered. Even provides a chart of the most common causes of bad SQL for each optimizer, and solutions for these problems. A valuable resource for every Oracle DBA.

http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orsqltunpr/
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/orsqltunpr/>

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=1G60ZMKA1 J
<http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?userid=1G60ZMKA
1J&isbn=0596002688> &isbn=0596002688

Oracle SQL Tuning Pocket Reference
Mark Gurry (Co-authored Oracle Performance Tuning way back in 1993 and updated since)
O'Reilly $12.95 U.S. (at this price you might buy copies for some of your developers)
Edited by Jonathan Gennick who is kind enough to answer questions on this list now and then.
Dennis Williams
DBA
Lifetouch, Inc.
dwilliams_at_lifetouch.com