Re: Explain Plan Question

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 20:28:21 -0800

No, it isn't correct. Explain plan gives you precisely what it should, and that is the access plan. Here is an excerpt from the documentation:

The EXPLAIN PLAN statement displays execution plans chosen by the Oracle optimizer for SELECT, UPDATE, INSERT, and DELETE statements. A statement's execution plan is the sequence of operations Oracle performs to run the statement.

The row source tree is the core of the execution plan. It shows the following information:

In addition to the row source tree, the plan table contains information about the following:

So, running the explain plan takes into account nothing. It displays the chosen access path. If you're not satisfied, you can always use subtle hints. Oracle optimizer takes everything into account and always gives you the ideal execution plan (or at least, it will, starting with the version 99i).

On 2002.08.12 17:13 Jay Wade wrote:
> Hello:
> I have to looking through Metalink but am unable to find the following.
>
> Does running Explain Plan take into Account the Cost Generated By using
> PL/SQL Functions?
>
> For example Select * from EMP where EMPID=FUNCTION_GET_ID;
>
> I do not believe that it does since the Function SQL does not seem to be
> included in the Plan Output.
>
> Is this correct?
>
> Regards,
> Jay