Re: Install Oracle 8i on Windows XP?

From: Mladen Gogala <mgogala_at_adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 11:48:24 -0800

On 2002.07.27 14:49 Eric D. Pierce wrote:
> JUST SETUP A DUAL BOOT OF WINDOWS 2000 PRO AND WINDOWS XP PRO
> AND MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER!!!
And then reformat all your disks, install Red Hat 7.3 and make your life still easier. No dual boot required. Keep your system Micros*t free.

> ---
>
> Remember, "Windows .NET Server 2003" (the precise term used by
> Bill Gates recently) is the next evolution of the kind of
> production platform that Oracle server needs to run on,

Yes. The most significant advance is that the blue screen of death will be replaced by the green one, to signify Microsoft's concerns for our environment. Microsoft is famous for the stability of its products, particularly
the Exchange. Microsoft is really something that you want your production
database to be running on. Does the ".net" part mean that a database running
on a MS sever will be vulnerable to any damned virus there is on the (.)net?

> --> NOT XP
>
> (which is a desktop platform)!!!

Not on my desk!

> XP is the desktop "Whistler", whereas Windows .NET Server 2003
> is the server version of "Whistler".
>
> Oracle will probably have the same problem with "Longhorn",
> which will be the next evolutionary step in the desktop

Since when is return to the dinosaurs called "evolution"?

> progression after "XP".

Donward progression, that is. Just press Ctrl-Alt-Del.

--
Mladen Gogala
Author: Mladen Gogala
  INET: mgogala_at_adelphia.net