RE: Install Oracle 8i on Windows XP?

From: Eric D. Pierce <eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net>
Date: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 10:49:09 -0800

JUST SETUP A DUAL BOOT OF WINDOWS 2000 PRO AND WINDOWS XP PRO AND MAKE YOUR LIFE EASIER!!!

---

Remember, "Windows .NET Server 2003" (the precise term used by
Bill Gates recently) is the next evolution of the kind of
production platform that Oracle server needs to run on,

 -->  NOT XP

(which is a desktop platform)!!!

XP is the desktop "Whistler", whereas Windows .NET Server 2003
is the server version of "Whistler".

Oracle will probably have the same problem with "Longhorn",
which will be the next evolutionary step in the desktop
progression after "XP".

---

Anyways, according to one report, to make "pre-9i" ORacle
software work on XP, copy everything from the install CD to
hard disk, remove the "read only" attribute, and run the
installer from there.

???

Or use Oracle db v 9.0 or 9.1 ? (which are certified on
XP *PRO*)

(Or get a cheap test box, and install Windows 2000 Pro!)

According to a developer product manager guy at Oracle_at_UK, the
reason that XP is not currently supported for db 8i (or more
precisely, for Patch11 of the Developer stuff) is that there
are some concerns about compatibility of "required support
files" on XP.

---excerpt---

from metalink.oracle.com :

> Oracle8i
> Client Release Notes
>
> Release 3 (8.1.7.0.0) for Windows XP
>
> June 2002
>
> Part No. A97675-01
>
> These Release Notes discuss the steps to install Oracle8i client
> components on Windows XP. These Release Notes supplement Oracle8i
> Release Notes for Windows and component readme files that were
> distributed with the Oracle8i release 3 (8.1.7.0.0) for Windows
> software.
>
> This document contains the following topics:
>
> Oracle Components Certified on Windows XP
>
> Required Oracle8i Installation Components
>
> Additional Oracle8i Installation Components
>
> Installation Tasks
>
> Deinstallation Steps
>
> Documentation Accessibility
>
> Oracle Components Certified on Windows XP
> Only the client components from the 8.1.7.3.0 patch set for Oracle8i
> Server for Windows are certified on the 32-bit version of Windows XP
> Professional Edition. Table 1 lists these client components. Releases
> prior to the 8.1.7.3.0 patch set for Oracle8i Server for Windows are
> not certified on Windows XP.

... ---end--- On 27 Jul 2002 at 8:08, Nirmal Kumar Muthu Kumaran wrote: Date sent: Sat, 27 Jul 2002 08:08:24 -0800 <NIRMALK_at_qtel.com.qa> To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L <ORACLE- L_at_fatcity.com>

... -- Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: http://www.orafaq.com -- Author: Eric D. Pierce INET: eric_d_pierce_at_pacbell.net Fat City Network Services -- (858) 538-5051 FAX: (858) 538-5051 San Diego, California -- Public Internet access / Mailing Lists -------------------------------------------------------------------- To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing).