Re: DB copying : Attack of the Clones!

From: <>
Date: Fri, 19 Jul 2002 01:33:19 -0800

Hi Kirti

Do you absolutely need full size copies? If small referentially correct subsets were suitable you could use our DataBee software to "re-create and re-load" the test databases as necessary.

In other words, you would not need to back up and restore full size databases. You simply press the button and regenerate the subsets when required. Depending on the size of the subset, the refresh would not take more than an hour or two. The load process is quite straight forward - many of our customers just create the initial subset databases and then off load the "truncate and reload" work to the developers and testers themselves. The DBA's are removed from the loop and because the databases are small the create process is very quick - the developers and testers can refresh their databases whenever they want.

Actually, DataBee would clone the full size databases just fine - its just not really designed for that purpose in mind.

In any event, you should have a look at our freeware DBATool. It contains (among other things) a rule based schema adjuster that should take care of your requirements to modify the DDL in the test schemas

Dale Edgar
Net 2000 Ltd.

> I was 'volunteered' to participate in a task force charged with finding
> quick solutions (in less than 2 weeks) to support following Dgmt decision:
> Clone 14 production databases in their entirety for ongoing code testing,
> recreating production problems etc.
> BTW, if we decided on any 3rd party tools, then Dgmt wants it installed
> within the next 4-5 weeks. Any Vendor types lurking on the list? This is
> your chance :)

Please see the official ORACLE-L FAQ: