RE: Null value is string

From: Eberhard, Jeff <Jeff.Eberhard_at_Rolls-RoyceGS.com>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2002 14:44:43 -0800

Not sure what you are asking. I tried what I think you meant and it works fine. This is what I did:

SQL> create table student (student_id number, student_name varchar2(10) default 'null');

Table created.

SQL> insert into student (student_id) values ('28');

1 row created.

SQL> select * from student;

STUDENT_ID STUDENT_NA
---------- ----------

        28 null

SQL> alter table student add ( student_name2 varchar2(10) default 'null' );

Table altered.

SQL> insert into student (student_id,student_name) values ('43','Peter Pan');

1 row created.

SQL> select * from student;

STUDENT_ID STUDENT_NA STUDENT_NA

        28 null       null
        43 Peter Pan  null

--Jeff

Author: donald.holloway
  INET: Donald.Holloway_at_wcom.com

Author: Eberhard, Jeff
  INET: Jeff.Eberhard_at_Rolls-RoyceGS.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jul 09 2002 - 17:44:43 CDT