Re:Should we upgrade from 9.0.1.2 to 9.2?

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2002 06:23:29 -0800

Cherie,

    For the most part I don't like using version X.0 at any point. Now in version 8, I did get onto 8.0.5, but I did wait for the .5 to show up. With 8i it's 8.1.6 that was our baseline although I'm a lot happier with 8.1.7. For 9i I won't touch anything before 9.2, which is waiting for a test home right now. On the other hand I think it's a pretty wise idea to be on the latest version before going into production since that way you have a longer period of time before having to upgrade again. I just like having some other poor slob find the bugs first.

Dick Goulet

Author: Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com
Date:       7/2/2002 5:58 AM

We have a couple of new applications in development that are moving to QA. These databases are currently running 9.0.1.2 on Sun Solaris 2.6. We've been pretty happy with this version to this point but are at a pivotal spot in our product development cycle where we have a narrow window in which we could upgrade to 9.2 before we finish our QA cycle and move the application to production. We will be moving to production in the September timeframe.

I know that 9.2 hasn't been out that long so I'm not sure how many people are using it. For those that are using it, what has your experience been? Is it very buggy? Any major problems?

We have an OLTP database, a smallish datawarehouse that uses partitioning, and some datamarts that also use partitioning. We do not use MTS or replication. Our character set is UTF8. We will be essentially 24 X 7. These are web-based front-ends.

What do you guys think? This OLTP database is very mission critical for us, once it gets to production. Is it worth moving to 9.2 at this point or should we wait awhile until a couple more patchsets come out? How long do people wait for a new release to settle before they move to it?

Thanks for your feedback,

Cherie Machler
Oracle DBA
Gelco Information Network

  INET: Cherie_Machler_at_gelco.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Jul 02 2002 - 09:23:29 CDT