Re: performance

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jun 2002 13:53:19 -0800

Ravi,

ARCHIVELOG isn't "obviously slow"; it is the default method of operation for most Oracle installations. Your experience is not the norm (though not uncommon, to be sure!), so I'm sure it can be fixed (unless your system is grossly underconfigured). If you have some form of contention in the redo log generation/archival stream, then it will be slower than NOARCHIVELOG, but most of the range of possible problems are quite easily dealt with. Rather than speculate in the absence of information, it would be best if you gather hard data to pinpoint exactly where the problems are...

I would suggest enabling STATSPACK, but doing so is somewhat involved. To determine if you want to do this, the best documentation is online in a file called "spdoc.txt" located in the "$ORACLE_HOME/rdbms/admin" directory. There are also notes and bulletins on MetaLink as well as other sites on the internet (search www.google.com for STATSPACK).

For more immediate results, please run the "utlbstat/utlestat" scripts during a period of about 20-30 minutes while you are experiencing "slowness". Take the resulting "report.txt" file (generated by "utlestat.sql" from SVRMGRL) and upload it to the http://www.oraperf.com website in order to get a YAPP analysis report, which is returned in HTML format. You have to register for a login to use that site and it's facilities, but it is free and well worth the 30 seconds involved...

If you need help interpreting the output from the YAPP report, then please paste the original "report.txt" report into an email back to this list and I'm sure a couple folks would be delighted to run a YAPP report with it and help interpret it with you. There are no security issues with the data in a "report.txt" or STATSPACK report, unless your datafile names are classified :-). Also, there are several "white papers" on the http://www.oraperf.com site which explain the methodology of "response time analysis" using the YAPP report which might help; click on the link for "white papers" in the left-hand navigation bar...

Hope this helps...

-Tim

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com