Re: So, What is a 'Production DBA'?

From: Thomas Day <tday6_at_csc.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 13:41:13 -0800

We split it up into Production and Development DBAs. Theoretically a DBA should be full-function; however, the way the contracts are set up the functions are divided. Production DBAs work with existing, in-production instances and databases, tuning, security, backup and restore, user management. Development DBAs work with designing and implementing new systems or with enhancements and fixes to existing systems. Development DBAs work more closely with developers, write more PL/SQL and generally get to go home on weekends and sleep through the night (unless a system or change is being implemented --- in which case their butt is on the line).

I'm sure that there are several good white papers out there somewhere but, since it's 4:30 and I'm a development DBA, I'm outta here --- and that's the real definition.

                    Peter Barnett
                    <regdba              To:     Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-L
                    @yahoo.com>          <ORACLE-L_at_fatcity.com>
                    Sent by: root        cc:
                                         Subject:     So, What is a 'Production DBA'?

                    05/29/2002
                    04:20 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    ORACLE-L

We are having this debate. What is a 'Production DBA'? Right now all of the DBAs do some of everything. In an effort to focus more DBA time on infrastructure, damagement is floating the idea of Production and Applications DBAs. The DBA group has loosely translated this into the group that is always on-call and the group that gets their weekends off.

I would appreciate some input from those of you who are Production DBAs.

Pete Barnett
Lead Database Administrator
The Regence Group
pnbarne_at_regence.com