RE: So, What is a 'Production DBA'?

From: Gogala, Mladen <MGogala_at_oxhp.com>
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 14:40:03 -0800

First, a production dba is "who" and not "what" (except on St. Patrick's day, but that's another story) Second, a production DBA
- Constantly monitors the database for performance - Shuts the database down and starts it up during the scheduled   downtime events.

- reviews audit trail and provides daily security report.
- grants/ revokes access
- allocates additional space to the database
- Communicates with the Oracle Corp. and opens TARs, orders
  software
- evaluates and installs any patches and patchsets. - provides weekly and monthly reports about the disk space consumption   which say how much space is left and who consumes how much disk space - Is the first contact for any production database problem. He or she will   be the most frequently called person in the company, without the need to   win Mr. or Miss Popularity contest.
- Keeps the log of all DBA activities pertaining to the production   environment.
- Keeps constantly in touch with Mr. Simon Trevaglia for best practices and   makes sure that his/hers BDBAFH skills are regularly updated.

Author: Gogala, Mladen
  INET: MGogala_at_oxhp.com