Re: ORA-2085

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Tue, 21 May 2002 07:03:31 -0800

I think that this is one of the few Oracle error messages where the suggested "action" truly represents the solution. Far more helpful than "Contact your Oracle Representative"... :-)

This might be a long shot, however...

        SQL> create synonym "dual_at_DONOT_TRIGGER.WORLD" for sys.dual;

        Synonym created.

        SQL> select count(*) from "dual_at_DONOT_TRIGGER.WORLD";

          COUNT(*)
        ----------
                 1

        SQL> select count(*) from dual_at_DONOT_TRIGGER.WORLD;
        select count(*) from dual_at_DONOT_TRIGGER.WORLD
                              *
        ERROR at line 1:
        ORA-02019: connection description for remote database not found

Naturally, you would not make the synonym reference SYS.DUAL, but DUAL@<db-name> instead, to avoid the ORA-02085 error and keep GLOBAL_NAMES enabled...

Of course, this might mean changes to the application if you have to add quotation marks around each reference to a table or view, which is what I imagine you are trying to avoid. However, you might be in luck if this application is accessing Oracle via Oracle's own ODBC drivers. By a stroke of luck, the Oracle ODBC drivers (downloadable from "otn.oracle.com") tend to wrap the names of all objects within quotation marks, at least in my limited experience...

Hey, it might be worth a look-see. Sometimes you just get lucky...

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com