Re: Wait Event "PX Deq: Execution Msg"

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2002 03:38:18 -0800

This event appears when a PQ slave has nothing to do, but is not allowed to go idle.

One scenario where you can see large values for the event is when (for example) you have a large data set coming out of a parallel ORDER BY.

The last layer of PX slaves in the query will receive a ranged set of rows and sort them. The QC will then request ALL the rows from the first PX slave, then the second, then the third and so on.

When the first slave has supplied all its rows, it will go into "PX Deq: Execution Msg" waiting for the QC to tell it do die - which happens only after the QC has got all the rows from all the slaves and passed them to the front end.

This means that it is a usually an idle event - but it may be a symptom of excessively large queries choosing an inappropriate execution path.

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author of:

Next Seminar - Australia - July/August