Re: Can a database go down because of too few locks?

From: Tim Gorman <Tim_at_SageLogix.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 07:58:32 -0800

Depends on what you mean by "down", doesn't it? Many define "down" as "unusable", despite the fact that connections can be made and SQL statements can be processed.

If you're referring to the parameters that start with the prefix "LM_*", then no, the database instance won't crash/halt/abend. If you underconfigure the LM_ parameters then you can expect OPS/RAC to take what it needs for DLM resources from the Shared Pool, resulting in terrible performance and lots of messages to the "alert.log".

The instances also may not start if you had requested too many resources using the parameters that start with the prefix "GC_*" (specifically GC_FILES_TO_LOCKS), but I'm not certain of that. I've always used a liberal hand in initially allocating DLM parameters and then monitoring the V$RESOURCE_LIMIT view to consider chopping back (or adding more) as usage patterns become apparent. Clustered systems should not be memory-constrained -- this would be a fine example of "penny-wise, pound-foolish", as the cost of RAM is small compared to the overall (direct and indirect) costs of a clustered configuration.

Author: Tim Gorman
  INET: Tim_at_SageLogix.com