virus package

From: Streeter, Lerone A LBX <StreeLA2_at_HPD.Abbott.com>
Date: Thu, 16 May 2002 07:58:30 -0800

perusing the archives of the list i've gotten the impression that virus packages are frowned on; it seems that the endorsed methodology is the "restricted-access-purely-this-solution" approach.

by that, the server *only* runs oracle and is configured to only allow access to that resource.

we are running a development box with oracle and mcafee virus shield, excluding the oracle directory from scanning.

not knowing what we will need to administer these remotely, applying restrictions, disabling shares and ports might be a step too far. but it's something we may want to consider.

what were mentioned as detractions to installing a virus package was:
-scanning of oracle files brings the server to it's knees
-virus package may erroneously identify an oracle related file as infected,
the quarantine or deletion of said file could cripple your solution

my question is... does this still hold true? do any of you run oracle w/ a virus package? if so what and how?

i'm looking for real world experiences, the development box we have is isolated so i have no real world metrics.

for now our decision is to install a virus package and exclude oracle-related--questionable files, like .DBFs and .CTLs...

good bad other?

TIA, hopefully i'm not beating a dead horse

lerone

Author: Streeter, Lerone A LBX
  INET: StreeLA2_at_HPD.Abbott.com

to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu May 16 2002 - 10:58:30 CDT