Re: Response time analysis and TKPROF

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 11:48:19 -0800

Anjo Kolk wrote:

> Stephane.
>
> The SQL statement is the right level, believe it or not. Basically the most
> expensive SQL statements (resource wise) will float to the top that way.
>
> Anji,

I disagree, with a strong feeling of not talking about the same thing. My favorite method for finding the most expensive SQL statements is rather to check buffer gets at regular intervals, but here of course is a question of personal taste. But I meet more and more (business) processes in which, without being top-notch, SQL statements do not look terribly bad. Rewrite everything, and it roars. I am not sure that digging deep in this case inside trace files is the most effective. Having a talk round the coffee-machine with end-users also helps. And you always have that terrible SQL statement which runs at 2 am and about which nobody cares as long as the maintenance window is large enough. What I question is the need to abuse queue theory when, let's put it clearly, the problem is awful code written by beginners under the leadership of people too often unable to reread what has been written by their 'subordinates'. And I have strong doubts about how easily you will 'sell' it to a management who better understands that a faster processor (or an additional processor) may make things run faster - even if we all know that it is far from being always true. How much simpler for a 'decision taker' than purchasing days of consulting for a result which may, and usually will, be much more efficient, but for which quantifying (even wrongly) results is much more delicate.

End of rant ;-).

--
Regards,

Stephane Faroult