Re: DB Version upgrade with CreateDB/Import "Risky"???

From: Daniel W. Fink <optimaldba_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 05 May 2002 11:48:18 -0800

James,

    Your plan is perfectly acceptable. In fact, if time allows, it may be preferable. If there are structural issues in the database (i.e. migrated rows, tables in index tablespace (and vice versa)), this is one method of killing two birds with one stone. It does require that there is sufficient space on the system to store the export file(s).

    I've also done migrations using the Oracle supplied processes and utilities...no problems there. If the database is structurally sound, it may be 'easier' to use the migration method. One advantage is that no additional space is required to hold an export file.

    All in all, there are valid reasons to use both methods. Export/Create/Import offers a chance to 'repair' structural issues. In place migration may require less time.

Daniel W. Fink

Author: Daniel W. Fink
  INET: optimaldba_at_yahoo.com