RE: Standby Database Problem

From: Jack C. Applewhite <japplewhite_at_inetprofit.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Mar 2002 06:23:23 -0800

Standby Database ProblemHussain,

As long as none of your datafiles were corrupted by what I assume was the crash of your Standby Instance, you can reinstall 8i and bring up the Standby just as you describe. The datafiles don't care at all where Oracle Home is.

I recently had to reconfigure our Production and Standby database servers to add a global hot spare drive to each. Because of that I had to reinstall 8i and moved Oracle Home on both of them. However, 90% of the datafiles stayed just like they were - a few had to move to a new drive. Both DBs came up just fine and I'm now back in Managed Standby mode.

Of course your Listener.ora will have to reference the new Oracle Home, but since you're reinstalling 8i, I'm guessing you'll create a Listener from scratch anyway.

Jack

Jack C. Applewhite
Database Administrator/Developer
OCP Oracle8 DBA