RE: Poll & Questions

From: Hallas John <John.Hallas_at_o2.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 06:23:35 -0800

I agree the work involved in creating a representative subset of data , complete with full RI in place can be quite significant. I know there are tools in place that do some of the work (Checkmate by BitybyBit and Quest have one - data factory I think) but these also require significant input and knowledge of the schemas.

More importantly is the performance testing aspect. I have never seen a production system that has been implemented without some unknown/unexpected bottleneck because code has not been tested with realistic volumes. I know there are options available to asisst these days (outlines and stats to name 2) but a full size dev database is not the overhead it may seem. Disk is cheap , time is not.

John

Author: Tracy Rahmlow
  INET: Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com

Author: Gene Sais
  INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us

This electronic message contains information from the mmO2 plc Group which may be privileged or confidential. The information is intended to be for the use of the individual(s) or entity named above. If you are not the intended recipient be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents of this information is prohibited. If you have received this electronic message in error, please notify us by telephone or email (to the numbers or address above) immediately.

Author: Hallas John
  INET: John.Hallas_at_o2.com

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Wed Mar 13 2002 - 08:23:35 CST