Re: Poll & Questions

From: Gene Sais <Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us>
Date: Wed, 13 Mar 2002 05:13:25 -0800

Tracy - 75 gb is nothing. Lets see: dba hourly rate to create test from data subset of production vs. cost of 75gb disks? Hmm, seems like a no brainer.

>>> Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com 03/12/02 05:43PM >>>
We currently have a production, system and development database here. The system and development databases are purged periodically and reloaded with lookup data. The developers are then responsible for entering transactional data in both regions. I am looking to follow the same practice for development, however I would like to clone my production database directly to the system test database. The production database is ~75G. Management does not want to commit $ to a full sized system database. Costs outweigh the benefits. I would like to sway them. HOW? Please give me your costs/benefits of doing this. In addition, what is the norm (if there can be one) in other shops. Does utopia exist?

ps. One of the biggest reasons for this database would be for benchmarking, timings, stress-testing. I realize I can copy the production stats, but that won't give me a good execution time. Do others load a subset of data (say 25%) and then extrapolate to a total time? Is that even necessarily accurate to do? I have my doubts. Thanks

Author: Tracy Rahmlow
  INET: Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com

Author: Gene Sais
  INET: Gsais_at_co.palm-beach.fl.us