RE: Fav. Urban Legend...

From: John Kanagaraj <john.kanagaraj_at_hds.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 13:58:24 -0800

>I'm doing Oracle Urban

> Legends. I've got
> several in my presentation but I thought I'd ask here, before
> I put the
> presentation to bed, what your favorite (or the one you find the most
> irritating) Oracle Urban legend was....

Robert,

I believe Jeremiah Wilton presented on a similar topic at OOW. When asked for inputs, mine was as below:

I might have added more on Tuning and Performance, but Gaja has already exploded all those myths!

One thing I will note though - there's bound to be lots of fire and flak erupting in your presentation. There are *lots* of so-called experienced DataBase Baby Sitters out there fed exclusively on 'Oracle for Dummies' books who had adopted these myths as reality and will be prepared to defend their position. You will need documented evidence in the form of logs or timings to make your stand for exploding some of these myths.

I am sure that others would add to this! (and I note that the 'lots of extents is bad' myth is already noted!)

John Kanagaraj
Oracle Applications DBA
DBSoft Inc
(W): 408-970-7002

Grace - Getting something we don't deserve Mercy - NOT getting something we deserve

Click on 'http://www.needhim.org' for Grace and Mercy that is freely available!

To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Tue Mar 12 2002 - 15:58:24 CST