Re:MTS on 8.1.7.5

From: <dgoulet_at_vicr.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Mar 2002 09:49:57 -0800

Tracy,

    For most applications I see no reason to use MTS, BUT there are a couple of locations where I do use MTS on 8.1.7 and have had few if any problems. It is actually a fair performer provided that you set the max_servers parameter rather generously. In total I find that MTS has one major Achilles heel, that being whether or not a shared server is free and available at the time a user makes a request. If all of the shared servers are busy, then the user must wait for one to complete it's task and find the new request. One of our Intranet applications uses an Oracle backend and we've seen this type of thing happen. Of course the reason for using MTS here is the number of connections (WEB server user MicroSlop ODBC driver) that refuse to die can at times hit the ceiling causing the instance to cease functioning (max_processes occurs). MTS relieves that problem which is the main reason we use it.

Dick Goulet

Author: "Tracy Rahmlow" <Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com>
Date:       3/6/2002 2:54 PM

Anybody using multi-threaded server on 8.1.7? I tried it in the past with poor results on 7.3.4 and thought about giving it another chance (actually we are having memory issues due to the upgrade from 7.3.4 to 8.1.7) Any good websites with detailed information/scripts for monitoring? TIA

Author: Tracy Rahmlow
  INET: Tracy.Rahmlow_at_aexp.com

  INET: dgoulet_at_vicr.com
To REMOVE yourself from this mailing list, send an E-Mail message to: ListGuru_at_fatcity.com (note EXACT spelling of 'ListGuru') and in the message BODY, include a line containing: UNSUB ORACLE-L (or the name of mailing list you want to be removed from). You may also send the HELP command for other information (like subscribing). Received on Thu Mar 07 2002 - 11:49:57 CST