Re: Hundreds of schemas in one instance?

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 15:23:23 -0800

The option for tablespace point in time recovery might turn out to be useful - equivalent to recovery on a per-user basis. The point about files is good though - I'm not sure that the theoretical limit of 65,000 can actually be reached in Oracle 8, and performance of checkpoints and queries against v$filestat can be pretty horrendous after the first 20,000 or so files.

However I think there are some issues which make 'hundreds' of users a liability anyway.

Think how big the rowcache would have to be to keep all the dictionary data for hundreds of schema.

Think how long the library cache chains could get if a large number of users were running textually identical SQL that resolved to different objects.

Although the database could handle the strategy in terms of notional object limits and simple size, I'm not sure that you could avoid process contention on a remarkable scale.

Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Next Seminar - UK, April 3rd - 5th

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/faq/ind_faq.html