RE: Riddle me this Oracle riddle...

From: Freeman, Robert <Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 07:38:29 -0800

Jonathan and all,

First, forgive me for not saying that I'd reveal the answer soon. (probably Thursday). So please bear with me on that issue.

This is not designed to be an OCP type question, I do not think you will find the answer documented anywhere as far as Oracle is concerned (at least I looked and could not). I'm not trying to be a smart ass or sell anything either.

I am asking this for these reasons:

  1. I want to start a discussion that revolves around this discussion and some nasty stuff we discovered was present in some legacy code. I think it has some very damaging possibilities. If you use the OCI libraries describe function, or DBMS_DESCRIBE, after you have answered the question, go play with those functions and see if you can figure out what the possible impacts are. Also, you will find an interesting change in these functions between 9.0.1.1 and 9.0.1.2, which is what first clued us into this issue.
  2. I want to compile the responses and chart what the current belief is out there about this question. Plan on discussing this topic at IOUG-A as a part of my Oracle Urban Legends presentation.
  3. This has some direct relevance with some discussion we are having with Oracle here with regards to changes in 9.0.1.2, 9.0.1.4 AND 9.0.2.... It might well impact some of you.

So, please, bear with me, and provide me with your answers to the question. I've asked the same question on another list serv and the Revealnet DBA Pipeline. I'm finding the answers *facinating*.

All the best,

Robert G. Freeman - Oracle8i OCP
Oracle DBA Technical Lead
CSX Midtier Database Administration

The Cigarette Smoking Man: Anyone who can appease a man's conscience can take his freedom away from him.

Author: Jonathan Lewis
  INET: jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Author: Freeman, Robert
  INET: Robert_Freeman_at_csx.com