Optimum I/O setup for control files.

From: Jesse, Rich <Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 14:35:42 -0800

Hi all,

This has probably been beaten to death in a FAQ somewheres, but I can't seem to find it.

For an 8.1.7 DB on Solaris8, I think I've got my file placement down except for the control files. As far as drives left unoccupied, I've got 2+2
(four) 36GB 10K (15K, maybe?) SCSIs. All 4 drives are in the same physical
box, but each 2 sets of drives has separate controllers and power.

So, considering performance and reliability, where do I put the control file or files? Here are the options as I see it:

  1. Stripe each set of 2 drives. Have Oracle put a CF on each.
  2. Mirror each drive from set A onto a drive on set B. Have Oracle put a CF on each.
  3. Stripe set A, mirror onto set B. Have Oracle put 1 CF on the set. -or-

If I bring in the 6-way stripe (mirrored to another 6-way) we're using for the datafiles:

4) Stripe set A, mirror onto set B. Have Oracle put 1 CF on this set, and another on the 6-way.
5) Stripe all 4 together (no mirror). Have Oracle put 1 CF on this set, and another on the 6-way.

Of course, I'm limiting this to only 2 CFs -- that's not set in stone, but with all the mirroring going on between all these controllers and power supplies, I didn't see a need to triple the CF count. Also, I have no idea what kind of load this DB will take. It'll be driven by a vendor's product, and I don't know how big the DB is yet (but I have to create it!), how many will hit it concurrently, etc. <sigh>

Any advice is welcome. Thanks! :)

Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com              Quad/Tech International, Sussex, WI USA
Author: Jesse, Rich
  INET: Rich.Jesse_at_qtiworld.com