Re: What are the major difference between Oracle RAC and Parallel

From: Anjo Kolk <anjo_at_oraperf.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 10:18:19 -0800

Don Granaman wrote:

> Sorry for the late reply, but the "major" differences are:
>
> 0) Cache fusion extended to write-write (8i OPS had read-write)

Basically shipping blocks over the interconnect, instead of over the disk.

> 1) Locking mechanisms are "self-tuning" ("Dynamic resource mastering" - Use
> the defaults!)

Most lock managers were self tuning, especially in the Oracle7 days

> 2) Major re-write of a *lot* of the internals

Yes, and they did a great job.

> 3) No more "DLM" - its now "GCS" & "GES" (separate lock & enqueque services)

Yep, GCS +GES = DLM (I feel like Einstein here ;-)

> 4) Oracle is pushing it like they never pushed OPS - much better marketing!

Yep, true.

> 5) Oracle Parallel FailSafe (OPFS) has been enhanced and renamed to Real
> Application Clusters Guard
> 6) "Lock mastering" is now "Resource mastering"

There is a real difference between a resource and a lock, a resource normally has one or more locks (either granted or waiting). So this statement doesn't mean much.

> 7) "Lock database" replaced by "Global Resource Directory"

Well, GCS + GES = DLM, so the names have been replaced.

> 8) There are now five (!) RAC manuals instead of 8i OPS's two

Hmm, I thought that the thing was supposed to be simpler.

> 9) Most of the v$ and GV$ views have changed and many of the names are
> different
> ...ad infinitum...

But it is still important to realize that if your application doesn't scale on a single node, it won't automagically scale on a cluster. Even with RAC it won't .......

Author: Anjo Kolk
  INET: anjo_at_oraperf.com