Re: Oracle Advanced Replication

From: Stephane Faroult <sfaroult_at_oriole.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Feb 2002 10:16:48 -0800

'Down time', ah. Switching to another machine is not that easy a decision to take. Remember that when you switch from the main machine to its spare, you also jump from an architecture in which you have two machines in synch (more or less), to a single-machine architecture. This is often overlooked, returning to business-as-usual (i.e. resynching two machines) is rarely a piece of cake. In other words, switching to the backup machine is rarely a decision you take lightly. What will happen in practice? Bang, the main server crashes. What will you do? First try to reboot it, it's obviously the simplest solution. Doesn't want to? Try to get hold of a manager, discuss, etc. In the best of case, I doubt that the switch will occur before a quarter of an hour at best (I have the experience of this type of situation on trading floors, where a lot of money is at stake, it was always at least 45mn before users were able to resume business). The possible down time of the standby database is totally negligible compared to all this. I agree with Jared, standby is BY FAR the best solution for this. Put in balance the trouble vs the risks.

Author: Stephane Faroult
  INET: sfaroult_at_oriole.com