RE: Standby Databse Problem

From: Szecsy Tamas <tszecsy_at_GEOMETRIA.hu>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 01:06:45 -0800

I had
the same problem recently (NT4+SP6a, Oracle 8.1.7), my network bandwidth was too small for the copy process of archived logs while a bulk load was running. I did not find a solution yet :-(
<SPAN
class=597493508-13022002>
Tamas
Szecsy

  <FONT face=Tahoma
  size=2>-----Original Message-----From: Hussain Ahmed Qadri   [mailto:hussain_at_skm.org.pk]Sent: Wednesday, February 13, 2002   9:08To: Multiple recipients of list ORACLE-LSubject:   Standby Databse Problem
  Hi,
  ------Winnt 4.0, Oracle 8.1.7.-------   We have slight problem with our Standby Database   Configuration. All the archives from our Primary Database are not being copied   to the Standby Database. When the archives are generated at a normal time, i.e   after after a gap of 15-20 minutes ( which is normal, as our logfile size is   500K and it works fine with our normal database behaviour) , the archives get   copied completely to the standby site. But due to a few jobs that run over   night, the log switch happens very fast,a few times per minute. This kind of   fast switching also happens incase of bulk insert or delete. Its in such cases   that some of the archive logs are not copied to the standby site. To counter   that, we increased the number of archiver processes from 1 to 4 on the Primary   site, and when it didn't entirely solve our problem, we increased it to the   maximum, i.e is 10. Even now all the archives are not being copied because of   the quick switching of logs.
  Keeping the archiver processes to 10 is also a   burden on the resources. Moreover, the second destination for writing   archives(standby DB) is optional, and the value for   log_archive_min_succeed_dest is set to 0. I am not sure increasing   this or changing the site from optional to mandatory would solve the problem.   Or would that have any effect?
  The other thing is that since the problem lies with   the files not being copied from one site to the other, so it should not   directly have anything to do with the Archiver processes, as server is   generating archives properly. But on increasing the number of archiver   processes, less number of files were not copied to the standby site, so it did   help. Is there something we are missing here.   Any help would be appreciated. <FONT
  face=Arial size=2>Regards,
  Hussain Ahmed Qadri <FONT face=Arial
  size=2>Database Administrator Shaukat   Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital & Research Centre <FONT   face=Arial size=2>hussain_at_skm.org.pk <FONT face=Arial   size=2>www.shaukatkhanum.org.pk Received on Wed Feb 13 2002 - 03:06:45 CST