Standby Databse Problem

From: Hussain Ahmed Qadri <hussain_at_skm.org.pk>
Date: Wed, 13 Feb 2002 00:10:25 -0800

Hi,

------Winnt 4.0, Oracle 8.1.7.-------
We have slight problem with our Standby Database Configuration. All the archives from our Primary Database are not being copied to the Standby Database. When the archives are generated at a normal time, i.e after after a gap of 15-20 minutes ( which is normal, as our logfile size is 500K and it works fine with our normal database behaviour) , the archives get copied completely to the standby site. But due to a few jobs that run over night, the log switch happens very fast,a few times per minute. This kind of fast switching also happens incase of bulk insert or delete. Its in such cases that some of the archive logs are not copied to the standby site. To counter that, we increased the number of archiver processes from 1 to 4 on the Primary site, and when it didn't entirely solve our problem, we increased it to the maximum, i.e is 10. Even now all the archives are not being copied because of the quick switching of logs.

Keeping the archiver processes to 10 is also a burden on the resources. Moreover, the second destination for writing archives(standby DB) is optional, and the value for log_archive_min_succeed_dest is set to 0. I am not sure increasing this or changing the site from optional to mandatory would solve the problem. Or would that have any effect?

The other thing is that since the problem lies with the files not being copied from one site to the other, so it should not directly have anything to do with the Archiver processes, as server is generating archives properly. But on increasing the number of archiver processes, less number of files were not copied to the standby site, so it did help. Is there something we are missing here.

Any help would be appreciated.
Regards,

Hussain Ahmed Qadri
Database Administrator
Shaukat Khanum Memorial Cancer Hospital & Research Centre hussain_at_skm.org.pk
www.shaukatkhanum.org.pk Received on Wed Feb 13 2002 - 02:10:25 CST