RE: Re[2]: Linux taking over at Oracle

From: Michael Kline <maklinesr_at_home.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Feb 2002 07:08:51 -0800

The "consolidate, don't consolidate" goes to those areas where companies may have broke up a large site into smaller "hubs". These helped the processing because a hub would normally be closer than "central" and dedicated lines were VERY expensive and they still did a ton of printing.

So, we break down a $1 million site with $1 million of support staff and declare victory when we build 10 $100,000 sites with 10 $100,000 support staff. The arguments come that this will go down in time... It doesn't.. DBA's get very hard to find, and it's hard to keep one at a $100,000 site. You end up just training them.

In the meantime you find that the internet is getting faster and faster, VPNs start to come of age, dedicated frame relay lines get to be much more reasonable.

This gave the companies several approaches.. They could break up even more or could consolidate and still handle the traffic. So the $1 million site comes back, they now only need 1 senior DBA willing to work 80 hours a week. They don't have 10 rents, 10 staffs, 10 "still kind of expensive" computers, they only need one. There is enough work to keep those "hard to find" DBAs interested and pay them as little/much as they will accept and still stay. Stability comes back... to an extent.

Now, coming, may well be small Linux servers with 60-180 gig of storage and perhaps $4-10k per box. They will be remote, so corporate will still handle the data. If they go down, they simply rebuild one, and could be up and running in 24-48 hours, and it's only "one remote site"... They may well need a good, almost seamless remote administration, and NO SUPPORT staff on site. KISS... If Oracle comes down to perhaps $1-5k for the database based perhaps on Linux and cpu, they could get a Whole bunch of Oracle out there.

Send updates to corporate, distribute if necessary in near real time, and use the remotes to keep network traffic to near nil.

All this depending on size and application and things could change accordingly.

It just keeps getting more and more "interesting."

ThinkSpark - Michael Alan Kline, Sr.
Technical Consultant - Richmond, Virginia Office 13308 Thornridge Court; Midlothian, VA 23112, USA. W: 804-744-1545 Cell: 804-314-6262
Michael.Kline_at_ThinkSpark.com
Pager: 877-705-1155_at_my2way.com
Alpha pager: www.metrocall.com/Page.html ICQ: 1009605, 975313 PhoneFree: 1057439

Author: Michael Kline